Family and Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Club Please add any books that you have read here.

2 posters

Go down

Book Club Please add any books that you have read here. Empty Book Club Please add any books that you have read here.

Post by Matty Sun 23 Mar - 12:53

The Light Between Oceans by M L Steadman

This book is set in Australia and about a light house and it's Keeper on Janus Rock, Linda you may find this interesting as there was or may still be a Janus Rock Lighthouse.

A Cold Day for Murder (book 1) a Kate Shugack series each complete  by Dana Stabenow.

These books are set in Alaska and Kate is an Aleut native and also works for the Police Department. I have also read

Dead in the water

Fatal Thaw

Pay with Fire.
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 19278
Country : Book Club Please add any books that you have read here. England
Registration date : 2008-09-27

https://familyfriends.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Book Club Please add any books that you have read here. Empty Re: Book Club Please add any books that you have read here.

Post by Guest Mon 24 Mar - 9:53

The Kashmir Shawl by Rosie Thomas

Set in Wales where a young woman finds a shawl in her possession after her father or mother dies. She has a bit of information and sets off to Pakistan with the shawl to find out more about her grandmother and grandfather who were from Wales and went out as missionaries. The story is written from the grandmother's perspective. Its a lovely story of hardship and romance.

The book I am reading now is called Strangers also by Rosie Thomas. Its about two people who go to a dept store and whilst going through a heavy fire door together there is a massive explosion. A bomb. The story is about them trapped in this building and what happens after. I am halfway through......and they are rescued.

Rosie Thomas is actually the first cousin of a good friend of mine. And all her books are different.

The last one I read was by Nora Roberts called The Dark Witch. Its about a girl who has a yen to go to Ireland to meet cousins she has never met before but they have been together in a previous life centuries earlier. I won't spoil this...but its gripping. Its part of a trilogy and I have ordered the second in the series from the library.

Back to top Go down

Book Club Please add any books that you have read here. Empty Re: Book Club Please add any books that you have read here.

Post by Matty Thu 27 Mar - 15:52

I had a feeling that Snow had started a readers group but I have searched for weeks and just found it! .. here is the link .. lots of books here. It was just named " Readers Group" but I have renamed it in honor of our lovely friend.

http://www.familyandfriendschat.com/t879-reader-s-group?highlight=readers+group

I will try to merge the new one another day
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Apr - 12:00

Finally the book that Karen recommended - The Marriage Certificate has arrived at the library and I picked it up today. Its taken a long time to come through as the library have had to search for it in Wales !! it wasn't in our Denbighshire or Flintshire Libraries so it's what they call an out of area book and I won't be able to renew it - but the deadline is 13th May so I have a month or so. It had better be good Karen - I have waited weeks for it lol

Do we have a bookworm emoticom Matty ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Tue 15 Apr - 14:39

oh I hope you enjoy it Sue after that long wait.....lol it would have been quicker for me to send you my copy of it.
Karen
Karen
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 5629
Registration date : 2008-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Apr - 18:07

Ha ha

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue 15 Apr - 19:37

I have just been reading 3 books called Girl in a box, they are very good
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Apr - 8:31

Just finished reading Silence and Shadows by James Long. Cracking book. Will be starting on the Marriage Certificate later Karen !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Apr - 13:25

Karen.....I have finished reading the Marriage Certificate by Stephen Molyneux. What a brilliant book. Anyone who does their family history should read it. So well done and a twist just showing how easy it is to go down the wrong tree or up it. Wonder if he has written anything else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri 25 Apr - 13:42

Karen & Sue,

I have read the Marriage Certificate on my Kindle.. it was brillant.  I have a second cousin in USA .. she told me about it
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Apr - 13:59

Matty, I don't think he has written any other books but when you do your family history we know how easy it is to get into the wrong tree !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri 25 Apr - 15:11

I found it quite sad at times, like the twins who had eventually to go to different homes, then their Mother was killed in the train crash.. Or was she lol

Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Fri 25 Apr - 16:37

Glad you both enjoyed the book. Yes it was a good twist at the end although I did wonder if she ever actually got on that train while I was still reading it. It just shows how easy it is to go wrong with your tree.
Karen
Karen
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Apr - 13:39

Yes I found it sad too Matty with the separation of the twins and like you Karen I wondered if she had not got on that train. Tried to find out if the author had written any other books but I cant see any. When you do your own family history you realise how easy it is to get into the wrong tree. Just goes to show how important it is to get documentation all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 7 May - 12:00

Just read Shadow Spell by Nora Roberts . It's the second book of her trilogy of the O'Dwyer family. The first book is called The Dark Witch. I get my books from the library and the third book is not out until Sept I think. Worth reading.

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen Mon 2 Jun - 10:27

For those of you who enjoyed The Marriage Certificate, I have just read another Genealogical Crime mystery called 'Hiding the Past' by Nathan Dylan Goodwin and really enjoyed it. If you look at it on Amazon you can read the first few pages and see if yo would like it. That's what I did and I was hooked.
Karen
Karen
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue 3 Jun - 10:50

Thanks Karen, I have been struggling with a book for over a month now! It's set in the Lake District so I thought I would like it lol.. The property of a gentleman by Catherine Gaskin ( read a lot of her books) don't like it!!!!

Will take a look at the book Karen.. Thanks
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Tue 3 Jun - 11:00

Karen I have downloaded it onto my Kindle.. £3.99 now I must finish that book so I can read this new one! ..

Thanks
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 5 Jun - 10:33

Thanks Karen, really enjoyed The Marriage Certificate. Will take a look at the one you recommend and order from the library. Matty I have been struggling with a Kathy Reichs book too. Normally I enjoy her books but this one '206 Bones' was very technical and slow too I thought but I did finish it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu 5 Jun - 13:04

Sue & Karen ..

I have finished that book and now on the second chapter of "Hiding the Past" so far it looks like being very good!
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu 12 Jun - 13:37

I have just read "Silence" by Natasha Preston, it is a very good book and only took me 3 days to read! .. It was a free download for my Kindle but I think it is about £4.99 to buy.. Now I am going to download the sequel "Broken Silence
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 5 Jul - 8:54

That sounds an interesting book Matty. I am reading Nora Roberts's books at the moment. One of her trilogies. The first is Born in Fire, and the second that I am reading now is Born in Ice. I have on order the latest Barbara Erskine book too. I don't buy books now as I just don't have the space any more but she is one author I do like to re read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat 5 Jul - 10:53

Sound like good books, I will look out for them. The beauty of Kindles or e.reader is you can have loads of books and they don't take up space. I only download from Amazon and mostly go for free books but would never pay more than £5.00!
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 5 Jul - 12:20

I had thought of a kindle as good value for money esp the downloads but to be honest it would worry my eyes (since my op) to be looking at a screen. I find my eye (the right one that had the op) goes very sore after looking on a computer. I try not to go on lol but it doesn't work. If I was going away a lot I would probably get a Kindle as it saves all that humping books around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat 5 Jul - 13:18

I just have the basic kindle, it has dropped in price since I bought mine it is now about £59 but there are better Kindles but dearer.. May be better for someone like you. I must have about 60 books on that I still have to read.. Always looking for more lol
Matty
Matty
Admin
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum